Display Case Circulation Dept., V&A
A solid mahogany wood frame with original hand blown glass and brass handle. The frame comes from the Victoria and Albert Museum for whom it was made circa 1920. Intended to be trays/display cases for two-dimentional specimens that toured the United Kingdom the frames are very well made.
Five of the eight pieces available still bear stickers with the Circulation Department's header. On these labels are dates and the names of the places the drawers traveled to.
The Circulation Department of the Victoria and Albert Museum closed in 1977, it was considered the oldest such institution for the preparation of traveling exhibitions of museum material in the world.
Width: 82.5 cm
Height: 65 cm
Depth: 3 cm